Friday, March 23, 2007

So Many Books So Little Time

Earlier this month I took part in an exchange over at Swap-bot http://swap-bot.com/ in which I was to send a list of my favorite 10 books (and why), five books I want to read (and why) and a bookmark. My favorites change on almost a daily basis, so keeping that in mind here are 10 (and in no particular order) that I thought were just fabulous:

1. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (F in paperback). This book has great adventure, romance, betrayal, hope, revenge and every other human emotion you can think of (and probably some you can’). Despite the fact that it was written so long ago, I read it relatively recently in my Face-2-Face book club. Everyone loved it and it inspired a lot of good discussion.

2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (F; available in paperback). This slender volume is a moral tale that makes everyone happy. Perfect book to read when you’re feeling a little low.

3. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. This is the first book in a series that features literary detective Sunday Next. Very creative and funny with lots of puns. Will only be enjoyed but those who have read a lot and will get the references. I think of this as a reader’s insider’s book.

4. The Kite Runner by Khalet Hosseini. (F—sort of; available in paperback) Coming of age novel set in Afghanistan and later the U.S. Book is fiction based on fact and the experiences of the author’s family. Could not put it down. To make it more special, I heard the author speak and had my copy autographed.

5. Our Lady of the Lost and Found by Diane Schoemperlen (F; available in paperback). This sounds like it should be terribly sacrilegious—but it isn’t. Premise is what happens when after 200 years Mary, mother of Christ, takes a vacation. Fascinating. This was recommended to me by one friend who is an agnostic and another pal who recently converted to Catholicism.

6. Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspeare (F: available in paperback). First in a series. Maisie is a psychologist/private investigator in London “between the Wars.” Fascinating look at the English class system and Britain during the Depression.

7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (F: available in paperback). Racism and tolerance during the 1930s in the American South. I first read this when I was 12-- and no matter how many times I’ve read it since and no matter what my age at the time, I’ve loved it. Also a fabulous movie but the book offers a lot more than the film.

8. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (F: available in paperback). Searching through history for one of its great villains. I read this in my book club and afterward missed the characters (or most of them anyway).

9. Maxwell Perkins: Editor of Genius by A. Scott Berg (Biography; available in fiction) Perkins was the Scribner’s editor who discovered and published the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemmingway, Marjorie Rawlins and many other outstanding authors during the mid 20th century. Gives insight not only into Perkins but also into the work and personalities of his authors.

10. The Piano Shoppe on the Left Bank by Thad Carhart (NF; available in paperback). A few years ago I decided to take up the piano and a friend gave me this book. Above and beyond all the loveliness of Paris, this is about how adults can lean and purse a passion and the friendships found along the way.


OK, so on to books that I can’t wait to read.

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling (to be released summer 2007) OMG, I’m just wild about Harry and can’t wait to find out what happens (though I have lots of ideas). I even order our books from Canada so we can read the stories as they were written rather than making do with the Americanized versions sold here by Scholastic.

2. Wicked by Gregory Maguire (fiction; available in paperback). The Wicked Witch of the West’s side of the story. I’ve been hearing about this book for ages and how good it is. I finally picked it up and, in a very nice coincidence, my face-2-face book club will be reading it, too.

3. Bowerman and the Men of Oregon by Kenny Moore (NF; hardcover). Oregon history, entrepreneurship and running. This is the book selected by the local library for its annual “Novel Idea” program, so the author will come here to speak and going to hear what he has to say is definitely on my agenda.

4. Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community and War by Nathaniel Philbrick (NF; paperback). By the same author as In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex (the true story that Moby Dick was based on), which makes it worth reading on its own. Should have included Heart of the Sea in my top 10.

5. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (fiction: available in paperback). A ghost story.

6. Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich (to be released in June 2007). The thirteenth book in the series that features Stephanie Plum a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey who arms herself with a hand gun too-high heels and shocking eyeliner. These books make me laugh out loud, and I can’t wait for this one to come out. I’ve read all the rest.

I'm always interested in hearing about other great books. Please post a comment with your suggestions. Thanks!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read Wicked awhile ago. It is very good. I gave it to my 13 year old to read while in Florida with friends (they are in their 60s and she goes on her Spring break to keep them company). She told me to day that it is "grand."

Anonymous said...

I just read Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens. I couldn't put it down. It is set in Southern Ontario - I'm from Canada - and is the story of an eldery black woman who is raising a child of one of her neighbours. Excellent book.

Kelly said...

What a list! I heard Wicked was horrible. I tried reading it a year ago and couldn't get through the first chapter. The play is AWESOME though.

Where were you?